Saturday, January 1, 2011

Finals color challenge: Titian's 'Venus of Urbino'

The second piece for the Margie & Me finals uses the colors from Titian's 'Venus of Urbino'.
 
  The painting features rich reds, pale flesh and linen tones, set against rich browns and blacks. Though the palette emphanizes the reds, I chose a different route, focusing on the contrast of the pales against the darker hues, resulting in this necklace.
 
.

I started with some transparent frosted pale pink glass hoops, linked with handmade ivory glass beads and silverlined brown Delicas. It was tricky making the links--the Delicas kept falling through the large holes of the rondelles as I tried to square-stitch them.  I pulled out a chocolate brown beaded bead out of my stash for one side of the glass chain, and stitched a black toggle bar for the other side.

My favourite part of this piece is the woven rope here. It's right angle weave done with long frosted black bugles and size 8s, embellished on both sides with a 4.5mm pearls, silver-lined brown Delicas, frosted dark pink Delicas and copper-lined 11s.
 

No comments: