Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Featured Artist: Merimask


Andrea Masse-Tognetti of Merimask masterfully cuts, forms and paints leather masks, keychains & the occasional 'arm dragon'. This is one of those shops where you look at the masks and you just want every one!


She says: "For a person educated in the soft sciences & majoring in archeology, I sure ended up in a weird profession; maskmaking. I'm an anachronism; I make stuff with my hands. I work exclusively in sculpted leather and I am entirely self-taught. I think a good mask should reveal what's inside, rather than conceal. All my designs are functional, wearable art, & no two are exactly alike."

Andrea Masse-Tognetti is a self taught artist living in Tonawanda New York, and has been working exclusively with leather sculpture for over sixteen years. She has created mask designs for Cirque Du Soleil, and last fall her masks appeared on stage in Tokyo in the "Muscle Musical" stage production "Magicarade". Her leather sculpture has been featured in "Weird Tales" magazine, the Niagara Gazette, "Artvoice" magazine and "J Select" magazine. Most recently, her masks appeared onstage in the Circus Juventas youth group production of "Yulong", in St. Paul Minnesota.

My personal favourite item seems to be popular: the dragon armband http://bit.ly/kPxZk

Visit her shop at: http://merimask.etsy.com

No comments: