Wednesday, January 20, 2010

'The Beaded Passion': announcement and call for entries!



I'm giddy to announce my newest ongoing project: a self-published how-to beading magazine, called 'The Beaded Passion'! It will feature jewelry made from various materials, using a myriad of techniques at many different levels--but they will all reflect a passion for beading! There are still some things to work out and finish up, but I hope to release the premiere issue around the end of January.
In the meantime, what better way to celebrate the upcoming beady joy than with a contest? So, I call for entries to 'The Beaded Passion Contest'!



This beading contest is to show off your skills designing with one or more cabochons! The cabochon/s may be gemstone, bone, vintage or modern glass, polymer clay, metal clay, or Shimmerstone.Techniques you might use in your entry piece include but are not limited to: wiring, bead stitching, looming, bead embroidery, clay work (polymer or metal), and chainmaille.

Rules for entering:
Entries may be jewelry or functional art object.
Judges not eligible to enter.
Your entry must incorporate one or more cabochons, and must be your own original design.
New work is encouraged, but previous works done within the past six months are acceptable.
Put in the listing description that this is for the 'Beaded Passion' contest, with a link back to this post.
To submit, simply comment on this post with a link to your entry. Alternatively, you may send me a DeviantArt or Etsy note entitled 'contest entry' with a link to your entry.
Last day of accepting entries is March 31. Winners are notified and announced within two weeks.

The prizes are as follows:
Most Unusual~$15 gift certificate to my bead shop ParadoxMoxie
People's Choice~$20 gift certificate to my bead shop ParadoxMoxie
Best Entry~$25 gift certificate to my bead shop ParadoxMoxie

In addition, each of the the winning designs will be featured on my Bright Circle blog, my DeviantArt journal and in an issue of my upcoming bead magazine, 'The Beaded Passion'! All entries will be featured on my DeviantArt journal as they come in.

 Entries will be judged on creativity, technical skill, aesthetic appeal, and use of the cabochon in the design.
If you would like to furnish prizes/be among the judges, send me a DeviantArt note or Etsy Conversation.

Contest rules subject to change depending on the number of entries received. For example, a deluge of entries may necessitate the introduction of contest categories. Rest assured, any changes will be posted.

11 comments:

cooljewelrydesign said...

love your idea...I don't work with cabs, tho (just once and wrapping brass filigree almost did me in) :-) Am a huge fan of anything that shimmers--dichroic, etc. but it's gotta be drilled, and that is not always easy.

Best of luck in the contest!

Pam
http://cooljewelrydesign.etsy.com

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great contest. Wish I had the skills to enter!
Barbara
http://capitalcitycrafts.etsy.com

Melody Marie Murray said...

Here's my entry:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=27288869

Cynthia Newcomer Daniel said...

I'm in! What fun!!! I have a lovely collection of shimmerstones just waiting to be beaded.

Cynthia Newcomer Daniel said...

Here's my entry:

Plum Lacy

Karyn said...

Hi

Please accept my Fingal Frolics piece as an entry. I have included three links to show the piece up close and another with a full shot of the necklace.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28024790@N03/4378972426/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28024790@N03/4378229349/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28024790@N03/4378202063/

I made all of the glass fused cabochons myself in my microwave kiln and the piece was stitched using a variety of seed beads and Swarovski crystals.

Thanks
Karyn

DEBGER said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debger said...

Having a problem with my link will try again here is my entry.
Many thanks
http://www.etsy.com/shop/debger

J Marie said...

I wanted to know if the contest ends at midnight tomorrow or does it end tonight?

Bright Circle said...

Midnight tomorrow.

J Marie said...

Thanks for the reply. I thought that I might be able to make the March 31 deadline but I know that I won't be able to. Please let me know if you have another contest.